Kids are on vacation now and will spend their time at work, volunteer sites, and helping at home. Celebrations are a part of life.
Ensure a safe summer on birthdays, July 4, and vacations, especially on the roads.
Good ideas for working with youth:
- Use music, activity, and involvement every 10 minutes of the program so young people are moving and interacting. Keep it fast paced.
- Include 2 youth on any planning groups, committees, or work sessions; plan with them not for them.
- Text messages reach out best (93% of text messages are answered in 1 minute).
- Social Branding techniques are now used to sell products through lifestyle identification-a very potent form of advertising.
- Point out "what are they trying to get you to do that is bad for you?"
- Talk it up and Lock it up (alcoholic beverages and prescription drugs).
- Listening is the 1st step of communication; open the door; don't lock 'em out.
- Embody the message: You're important-we gotta' have you!